Grid-Connected Renewable Energy System
Nowadays the use of domestic electrical energy is changing and this trend is evolving with time. This change is related to the interconnection of renewable energies (photovoltaic and wind energy, the most common in domestic use) with the public grid, in a totally transparent way for the end user.
Elettronica Veneta Spa, always in line with technical advancements and trends, has designed this system for the future generations of engineers that will face this change
The system consists of:
A) A wind turbine generator
B) A silicon cell photovoltaic panel
C) A wheeled panel including:
C.1) A hybrid charge controller
C.2) A sinewave inverter / battery charger
C.3) Electrical loads
C.4) Electric instrumentation for detecting the energy flows in the different branches of the circuit
C.5) USB interface for PC connection
D) Buffer battery
E) Portable rheostat
- Each renewable energy source can be studied independently, combined or integrated with the grid
- The photovoltaic panel and the wind generator can be used
both outdoors and indoors.
- The photovoltaic panel can be disconnected from the system, for constructing the characteristic curve (one single module, two modules connected in parallel, two modules connected in series).
- The photovoltaic panel can track the sun along two axes, to allow the comparison of the performance between a fixed installation (such as the one on the roof of a house) and an installation with tracking device.
- Experimental data can be saved for future analysis and project work.
All the energy consumed by the user (loads) is taken from the battery. Therefore all the system is intended to charge the battery.
When consumption is higher than the available energy (from the battery and the renewable energy sources), the additionally required energy is supplied by the grid. On the contrary, when consumption is lower than the available energy, the excess power is fed to the grid.
The system includes the measuring devices for detecting the energy flows to and from the grid
- Physical principles whereby wind power is transformed into electrical power
- Study of brushless generators
- Physical principles whereby solar power is transformed into electrical power
- Characteristics and application of silicon cells
- Wind Turbine Generator:
- Understanding and use of the Country Statistics related to the specific place where the wind generator is installed
- Calculation of average generated power
- Distinctive features
- Energy balance and efficiency
- Photovoltaic Generation:
- Understanding and use of the Country Statistics related to the specific place where the photovoltaic panels are installed
- Calculation of the average solar power a given site
- Distinctive features
- Optimizing installation and positioning
- Energy balance and effi ciency
- Battery charge control
- Study of the Interconnection of Renewable Energies and the Public Grid:
- Study of the hybrid charge controller: circuits and functions
- Study of the sinewave inverter / battery charger: circuits and functions
- Study of energy fl ows and related measurement devices
PC data acquisition:
- All instruments and sensors, as described above, are connected in Modbus network
- A specifi c software (developed with LabView) is supplied to monitor the different parameters of the system.
- Parameters displayed:
- all DC (V-I-P) and AC (V-I-P-S-Freq-Power Factor) parameter
- wind speed
- environment air temperature
- photovoltaic panel incident solar radiation
- photovoltaic panel temperature
- The software enables to:
- Calculate wind and solar energy conversion effi ciency
- Visualize the energy fl ows to and from the public grid